Friday, May 11, 2007

The Legend Continues

I came to know the Lord through Youth With a Mission in 1984. We had a boarding house in Baguio City, where college students from different provinces stayed. I was only 9 years old, when YWAM missionaries started a Bible study in our house. They were all so kind and they were just the coolest people ever. They accepted us compassionately despite of who we were and what we have been through. They were the type of people you would always wish to be with forever. They modeled a life of dependency upon the Lord and willingness to serve Him. They unselfishly gave their precious time and effort to win the lost for God. Having been blessed by such wonderful people filled with God's love, my family and the students who used to live with us gave our lives to the Lord. It was such a life-changing experience for all of us.There were too many vivid memories to remember. Kuya John and Ate Angie Parsons were still dating back then and I still remember Ate Angie has the longest hair ever. Kuya Juan Coromina used to drive us around Baguio with his jeep. We used to call Ate Remy Weihman, "Ate Marvi" (I don't know why, really...). There were times when I would wake up early in the morning and find Kuya Santi Tabilla sleeping in our sala. The sweetest Ate Bel Torres used to bake cake for us. And the list just goes on, Kuya Victor Roa, Steve Scharf, Papa Jack and Mama Valerie Parsons, Ate Rose, Ate Luz and more. These are the bunch of great people who modeled the life that I wanted to have and wanted to be someday – a MISSIONARY.In 1989, my family moved back to Olongapo. I finished Computer Secretarial course and worked in an office in Manila. I found myself in circles that I sought God for directions. He led me to volunteer in YWAM Olongapo for seven months. I did my DTS in Baguio City in 1998 and had been with YWAM since then.The ministry we have in Olongapo is to minister to the women who work in the clubs trying to make a living. We evangelize them and accommodate them and their children for a certain period of time. It is a joy to see how their lives change once they decide to give up work and follow Jesus instead. What I like the most are the kids. They are such a blessing to everyone at the base. We have 6 disciples at the moment and 10 children (Whew!). But they are the best! We have so much fun together. We have a lot of disciples who did our program, took DTS, and are now working as missionaries together with their kids. It's great to see them continue their walk with the Lord.Now, I have two nieces who want to be missionaries when they grow up. It reminds me of the burning desire I had when I was at their age. I am so excited and really looking forward to see how the Lord will lead them step by step. And yes, a life lived for God does make a difference to the people around you. It is so humbling to hear how even the kids in our ministry would express their desire to be just like you when they grow up and how they want to have the life that you have…a life lived for God.

No comments: